Go Solar Group is the first solar company to provide the security of backup in every system.
With a Go Solar array, you’ll get:
free wiring for power
a free electrical inspection
a free battery backup product
You need battery backup to:
stay safe and healthy during a long power outage
maintain landline phone service
maintain your food storage
keep the lights on
offer appliance & mobile phone charging
Go Solar Group is the first solar company to deliver on the security of battery backup in every system.
With a Go Solar Group solar panel system, you’ll receive:
free wiring for power to an external source
free electrical inspection
free battery backup system
Battery backup preparation is crucial for:
maintaining cold food storage
keeping the lights on in your property
ensuring that property security systems stay on
preventing the interruption of medical devices
offering appliance charging
Backup Storage vs. Battery Backup: Know the Difference
One of the most confused solar terms is battery backup and backup power/storage. Although both terms get interchanged with each other they don’t mean the same thing. This can create misleading advertising.
Backup Power for Your Reno or Utah Home
Backup is a power supply that allows you to use your system when there is a grid failure. This is either short-term stored energy or solar energy routed away from your net meter. If you have a solar system that does not have backup you will not have power when the grid goes down. This is because it is against fire code for a solar system to be running power through a net meter when the grid is down.
Battery Backup: Deep Cycle Batteries
Battery backup, on the other hand, is an actual battery that has the capacity to power your home. Battery backup such as Tesla’s Powerwall stores power from your solar panels. When your panels don’t have sunlight to power your home your battery backup kicks in. Battery backup systems do not require you to connect to the grid.
These Battery backup systems normally use a deep cycle battery. Designers created deep cycle batteries to use most of its capacity before recharging. There are a couple of different deep cycle batteries. Lead acid, lithium, nickel cadmium, and nickel-iron are the main battery competitors for solar. As of right now, lithium batteries are taking the lead in being the best deep cycle battery for solar. This is because they last longer and are more efficient.
Go Solar Group Backup: SPS and Solar Generator
What about when your power goes out? Many assume that their solar array would still run in a power outage. The truth, however, is that it is a requirement for grid-tied systems to be off during a power outage.
Secure Power Supply (SPS)
As a result, Go Solar Group came up with a solution. We install a secure power supply (SPS) in all our systems that use SMA inverters. A secure power supply allows you to reroute your power from your inverter to an outlet in your home. If however, the sun isn’t out your SPS will not work. This is because a secure power supply redirects the real-time current from your solar panels.
Goal Zero Yeti Solar Generator
We also offer a solar generator called the Goal Zero Yeti 3,000. This generator allows you to have more power options. You can use it on the go or in your home.
The Yeti 3,000 comes with 11 ports with different functions. This generator can power several devices at once no matter the weather or time of day.
It can also connect to your home with a home integration kit. The home integration kit allows you to connect to your breaker panel. You can power up to four 15-20 amp circuits in your home.
Go Solar Group Battery Backup and Tesla
For those that would like to get completely off the grid, we have a solution for you as well. Go Solar Group carries Tesla Powerwalls and has installed many off-grid systems. We suggest getting an off-grid system if you live in an area that isn’t already connected to the grid. This is because it would cost as much or more to bring the grid to you as it would be to go off grid. If however you live in an area already connected and would like battery backup we can help you do this as well.
Go Solar Group Customer Backup Levels
Key Definitions and Facts
- Storage: A device that is capable of keeping energy for use at a later time; a battery.
- Backup: A way to use electricity, in the event of a power outage. Can either be in the form of a battery/storage, or instantaneous use of the electricity from the solar panels.
- All batteries are backup, not all backup is a battery.
- Battery: Interchangeable with storage. A battery is an electrical storage device. A type of backup.
Go Solar Group Backup and Battery Backup Offerings
Level 1 – Access to Secure Power Supply/SPS (Backup, Not Battery Backup)
- Provides up to 2000 W during the day,
- 95 watts go to outlet through the secure power supply at once
- Functions basically as a feed from the outlet, drawing power from panels even though/when the grid is down.
- Outlet should be installed near the inverter.
- Great for keeping a fridge charged when power goes out and not having groceries spoiled.
- Extension cable sometimes needed to make it work
- Only available with SMA Inverters and only works when panels are absorbing sunlight
- Access to secure power supply only works with the SMA inverter, which we use on 95% of our installs (homes without shading issues) SolarEdge don’t have that capability. There is a potential backup option with a SolarEdge, but it’s a little more complicated and we only do it when we have to.
Level 2 – Secure Power Supply (SPS) and a Portable Backup Generator for Power Essential Loads
- This is basically power input to the Yeti charged by the solar panels – can charge Yeti 1400/Yeti 3000.
- Yeti and secure power supply from the yeti.
Level 3 – Portable Backup Generator with Home Integration Kit (HIK)
- Only 4 circuits up to 15-20 amps can be backed up by the Yeti 3000.
- Home Integration Kit is not for outdoor use and must be installed and used only within the home
- The HIK with a backup generator is not a whole home backup system and production is contingent on both loads backed up and the amount of withdrawable power in the backup generator.
- The HIK needs to be installed near the interior breaker box, in the same room, on the same wall. Further distance or location will be an additional charge.
- If the HIK is installed in a finished location, the unit may not be recessed into the wall.
Level 4 – Custom Battery Backup – Tesla Powerwall
- Pretty self-explanatory. 1 powerwall can backup as many 30a or less circuits as the customer desires.
- 2 or more Powerwalls can backup almost every single load in the house.
Be prepared with a backup system. Complete the quick quote form to request a call about solar system pricing and products. Our team will work with you on your backup preferences to make sure that your solar array will provide security for all of your needs.